Four Page Letter

In honor of Aaliyah Haughton let's take it back to lost form of actually writing letters.

I don't know about you - but writing letters or notes was a part of me for as long as I can remember. In grade school and high school, I used to write notes to my friends all the time during class. And just by chance something happened over night, I had all my letters ready to go by the next morning. When we graduated and went to college, we would all write letters to each other to share our experiences - believe it or not, cell phones were not as prevalent back in 2000. Yes we had them, but we definitely did not have unlimited plans, so we had to wait until our minutes were free at night and what were we supposed to do in class? Pay attention?! The whole time?! Nah - I needed plenty of paper and pretty pens to continue writing my letters.

 If I had a love interest, I definitely would write them letters as well - writing has always been a way I easily expressed myself especially when I was upset about something. Their letters would range from just thinking about you - how I feel - to the infamous this is why I am mad, here is my argument, now what are you going to do to rectify this situation. I think every guy I dated gets a sense of dread when they received a long email/ letter - they just knew it was going to be something they didn't want to be here. I have perfected the art of saying how I feel in a straight forward manner yet not displaying a nasty overtone - so often times it leaves them trying to determine what is my level of anger in regards to the situation. You do not have to be a bitch to get your point across...all the time.

Letters have been replaced by emails, messages on facebook, texts, and tweets - personally, I still get excited when my friends send me letters or cards in the mail. Nothing can replace the sentiments behind a personalized, hand-written note by loved ones - even if it is a Four Page Letter.

What was your favorite Aaliyah song? Do you have any memories connected to them?

My personal favorites were Come Over , Four Page Letter, The One I Gave My Heart To (I remember laying in Amber's bed going through a break up with this song on repeat, just crying, and eating Wendy's nuggets), and Rock the Boat (I loved this song although I didn't discover the true meaning until the video came out - it just clicked all of a sudden and I was like ohhhhhhhhhhh - but I liked it even more then). I also remember when Age Aint Nothing But a Number came out - I used to sing it to my dad all the time when he would express his dislike in my interest in older guys. Are You that Somebody gets a special mention because Lauren always used to play that song while she was doing her hair and do the choreography to the whole video over and over and over. She never got tired of it! Ha!

Special thanks to Amber & Maya for always letting me hold her cds in high school - as a matter of fact, I still have them. ;)

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. OMG you still have them!!!! lol..that is crazy!!!! Aaliyah was our girl..and I still have our letters from college and some from high school! we were a mess!!!!! But everything was soooo simple then!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I do - right in my cd rack! I have no idea who's is who at this point - Amber didn't label ALL of her cds - do you remember the sticker she used to put on them?! LOL!

    I just threw those things away a couple years back - I couldn't believe I still had them...everything WAS so simple, but we thought it was all so complicated. If we knew then, what we know now

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top