The Social Media Nightmare

I must admit it. I have developed a love/hate relationship with social media. The professional me loves it and how it enables so much information to be readily available to peruse and decipher. I honestly go to twitter for the latest details on breaking news and sometimes I cannot tear my eyes away from my timeline or my texts because I am always dissecting what is reported vs. what is strictly facts.

The professional me also loves developing content and engaging on the different platforms for my clients. I enjoy exploring different management tools and finding which one is more efficient. And then there is the exhilarating feeling when clients are successful with your suggested social media campaigns.

This professional me has given me a critical eye when I browse my personal social media. And I have come to the realization, people just do not know how to use it properly. There are different mediums based on how and what you prefer to post. Please let us explore...and help me, help you. You are welcome.

This is a rant that has been brewing inside me for months. Please take notice I did NOT post this on facebook. It is quite selfish to clog someone's feed with this long post. (The best part is when people end said rants with "I did not write this for your likes or your approval" - ummmm, yes you did. The reason you wrote it was for attention and for people to agree with you. And yes, some of us see right through it and we giggle.) BUT I have a blog. And you can rant as much as you want on YOUR blog because people have the option to click the link to read what you are posting. Tip: you can host your blog for free on blogger or wordpress. Check it out.

Please check all grammar, spelling, and punctuation before sharing. And if you by chance happen to miss one, please edit. Nothing kills the validity of your post more than these errors.

Then there are the people who post a million times in succession on facebook. Guess what?! There is something called Twitter. This is the perfect platform for posting quick, succinct messages out to your followers. And no one cares if you have a million tweets on their timeline. You can quickly scan through them or ignore.

Social Media Activists - less talk, more action.

Oversharing - just stop it. Everything is not for everybody. And more specifically for social media.

Then we have the artists. You know the people who paint a pretty picture of their lives because nothing ever goes wrong. Please remain genuine folks.

Did you know Instagram is solely for pictures?! You have a ton of pictures you want to post?! Knock yourself out on Instagram. Create collages. OR there is this feature on Facebook that allows you to create an album. But for the love of God, do NOT clog my Facebook feed with pictures you post ONE BY ONE.

The lovely world of Pinterest - I happen to love this platform. It is a planner's dream. I can pin all my ideas as I am planning any aspect of my life and revisit when I start finalizing options. You know...recipes, outfit ideas, party plans, diy projects, house renovations, etc.

Ok, so now that we are all aware of the proper use of the social media platforms, let's make it a great day folks. Happy Saturday!

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should crowd everyone's newsfeed, just this once, to get the lesson out.

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top