Thanksgiving in July

This year we decided to host the 4th of July a tad bit differently. My aunt is home visiting from Australia and my mom wanted to have Thanksgiving in July at our home on Friday night. We cannot remember the last time we shared a Thanksgiving dinner with her, and it was a pleasure to host so many of our family members.

Thankfully, I only had to clean the house, bake, and make punch. AND my mom even did most of the baking - all I had to do was make apple crisp - there were chants for this as soon as I pulled out the knife and cutting board. I have no idea how Price knew what I was up to - but he requested his own. Of course in the middle of cutting up all the apples for THREE crisps, the apple corer/slicer broke. My dad stepped right in and began to slice up and core the apples. I love a good sous chef.

But what was on the menu you ask?! Well, let's see...my mom prepared a fried turkey, ham, mac & cheese, candied yams, sweet potato pudding, stuffing, greens, AND string beans. For dessert we had sweet potato pie, blueberry cobbler, apple crisp, coconut layered cake, and a pound cake. It all was delicious! My mom cooked for three days preparing and has yet to pass out from exhaustion. She is remarkable!

Everybody loves fried turkey, right?! 
Ironically, this is the only picture I took - I was too busy running around hosting, cleaning up, and making sure everybody was comfortable and didn't need anything.


Having this untraditional Thanksgiving dinner also allowed for other family members to join us who usually have other homes to visit in November. My aunt on my father's side came, along with my mom's other brother, Mike AND our cousin from Scranton with his kids.

Kids never cease to amaze me. Price, Khloey, and Kody have never met their cousins Aiden, Mariah, and Anaya yet they played like they have been friends forever. Adults need to take heed to things like this and embrace new people & encounters with an open & clean heart.

All in all, there was great food, drinks, conversations, and laughs. Family time is always the best time.

What did you do to celebrate this extended weekend?!

 

Happy 4th of July from the kid and I! 





CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top