Dawn of a New Day

Right before Labor Day, we closed the doors to Children of America for the last time...and I did the pick up on his final day. I was so anxious and scared I would cry...I must say, cleaning out his cubby was hard. Yet this kid gives me strength.

As his classmates excitedly waved and discussed how they would see him after the holiday, he calmly told them it was his last day there because he had to go to a new school for kindergarten. He then went around and hugged everybody while saying his final goodbyes. Proud is an understatement of how I felt as he handled this so well...especially after he adamantly objected going to kindergarten.

With ELEVEN free days before school starts, we decided to make the best of his free time before he gets into his new routine. My mom & I had a change of clothes for him in the car and we immediately headed to Point Pleasant Beach to chase waves, bubbles, frisbees, and sunsets. 

Price has come so far this summer...we literally had to force him to go to swim class...but he jumped into the wild waves of the ocean with so much joy. As a result of Hermine, we never knew how high the waves would come...so I was constantly ready...if it was low, I let him roam on his own; if it was crashing against my chest, I hurriedly picked him up so they did not crash over his head. He had a blast and my arms received a vigorous workout. 
As we headed back to the car to get him out of his wet clothes, we had such a great encounter with 2 bike cops. This interaction caused him to giggle even more because he just couldn't understand why the cops were on bikes and not in a car. After all, his poppy drives a car and has big trucks! 
What's a trip to the boardwalk without funnel cake?! And pizza?! And french fries?! AND icecream?!
And you know he had to play some games too! 
Somebody had a pretty good aim too with a water gun! 
After watching a perfect sunset, it was time to hit the road and head home. Now what would we do to occupy the rest of his time until school starts?! 

Price has hit major milestones this summer. He figured out how to tie his shoe; he lost 2 teeth; he learned how to ride a 2 wheeler; he developed an obsession with playing LEGO Marvel Super Heroes on the PS4; AND he managed to stay up to watch the first football game of the 2016 NFL season. He was a real trooper and had no qualms about pizza & wings for dinner. 
He even managed to get me to make an apple crisp while we cheered on the Broncos. 
And what did we do for our happy hours after I finished working?! Play games of course! 
Followed by making s'mores for his first time - he ensured we had white chocolate too. I wonder where he gets that from?! 
 
And tomorrow we start kindergarten. We decided to go check out the new playground before the school year starts. 
 
Followed by Tranzilli's water ice to cool down
I think it is safe to say he had a great summer and is ready to face new challenges and make new friends. I even told him about his required uniform - he thinks it is no fun dressing like everybody else and we are both looking forward to the last Friday of the month, so he can express himself and illustrate his personality with his fashion choices. 

And my biggest concern: WHAT ARE WE GOING TO PACK THIS KID FOR LUNCH?! He is just like me...we do NOT eat sandwiches...I am hoping yogurt, fruit, apple sauce, and snacks will sustain him until his afternoon pick up. Any ideas - please send them my way. I am sure pinterest will become my best friend this year. 

Stay tuned for updates from his first day, I cannot wait until the school bell rings so he can run in the school yard and tell me all about it! I am thinking we need ice-cream cones to have this important conversation. 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top