Please Don't Ask

There is something I feel the need to get off my chest and we have deemed this a safe place, right?!

Do you know what drives me crazy more than anything?! When people discover my actual age, the first question they ask is well, don't you want kids??? When are you going to get started? You know you are running out of time. 

Let's be frank here - I am very aware I lose an egg every month with no hopes of said egg replenishing itself. I also know if I do get pregnant at this point, I will be considered high risk and have to subject myself and child to lots of tests along the way. And when you ask me this question, you must know that I am not in a relationship - this makes me wonder if you know how babies are made...I could fill you in on this part if you needed a refresher.

In any event, when you ask me this question...you ask it with ignorance. It is not out of genuine concern for me and my future. You ask it not knowing any details of my past. What if I had suffered miscarriages previously? What if I am infertile? What if I felt unfulfilled with my life because I did NOT have a child? How do you know your question is not triggering emotional distress? What if I just did NOT want children?

There are so many factors associated with loaded questions - so here's my thing...unless you are one of MY PEOPLE, please don't ask. My almost 35 uterus, ovaries, and eggs are of none of your concern. Some things are just personal, ya know?!


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top