Summer Body Prep

Since summer bodies get made in the winter (and spring), Drea and I put in the work and dedication to ensure you are indulging in the right brand this summer.

You may be wondering how this all began - so let me tell you. With all the snow storms, we had to properly stock our freezers. Although we love Talenti Gelato, it has been a staple for years and we wanted to discover something new.

The research was extensive, but we somehow managed to narrow the testing options down to 4 brands: Halo Top, Magnum, Yasso, and Haagen Dazs.

First up: Halo Top. You know, since we are getting older, we should be more conscious of our calories, right?!

Drea went with birthday cake and I was anxiously awaiting her review as it snowed heavily. Our convo went a little something like this -

Drea: Well. The results are inconclusive. Here's the thing...the ice cream is very good. Surprisingly good. And they put little sprinkles in it, which is a pleasant surprise for a first timer. However, it still leaves much to be desired. You just keep eating it and eating it, waiting for that thing to finally feel fulfilling. But you never reach it cause it's just empty dang on calories! It's maddening. And yes, I've given this A LOT of thought.

Me: So is this a smart consumption as we prep for bathing suits?! 

Drea: Again inconclusive. Because a person like me will eat 3 cartons in a row just to get the fix I'm chasing. That can't be good for a bathing suit, right?! 

Me: I'm gonna buy one this weekend to add some feedback to this analysis. 

I purchased Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, ate one spoonful and immediately put it back in the freezer. Halo Top is a hard no for me - yet now, I was determined to find our perfect ice cream for summer.

Since Drea wasn't convinced with Halo Top initially, I was well prepared with a Magnum Ice Cream Tub lurking in the deep freezer. With carefully made to be broken as their advertising campaign slogan, I KNEW I was in for a treat. I LOVE breaking things.

Yet I must say...the 10 minutes you have to wait to break the shell is hell. Drea tried the Classic Tub and please note, she did not notice you had to wait 10 minutes. HOWEVER, she was determined, and got in there anyways.
As she ate it, she provided some colorful commentary: It is melting in my mouth. The ice cream is real good quality and the chocolate shell is amazing. The chocolate shards inside are taking me out. She is such a trooper, she ended up going through 3 of these tubs in less than a week. 

I went straight for the White Tub and was NOT blown away. I felt it was missing caramel sauce. As soon as I added this, I fell in love. There is just something about that white chocolate and caramel combo - it gets me EVERY time.

However, I also needed Drea to try the White Tub to hear her thoughts. And this is where she ended her experiment since she found her new crack.
Upon opening it, she had a groundbreaking discovery and ended up waiting the 10 minutes.
I am pretty certain it was love at first bite since she exclaimed, ok no I had to step away. That white chocolate is dangerous. Magnum's White Tub was declared Drea's winner although she wishes the containers were bigger.
But I decided to press on to try the other brands with Drea cheering me on from the sidelines. As I sent her a picture of essentials in my basket, she immediately text me back: Look at all this research. I love science. Me too girl, ME TOO! 

Next up, was Haagen Dazs' remix to an ice cream sandwich with their Dulce de Leche Cookie Squares. Amazing may not begin to describe my feelings for these, yet I cannot help but to feel disrespected since there are only THREE in the box. My mom asked about their calories - I quickly let her know those details were not important for this research and to back off unless she wanted a bite - I was willing to share. 
Next up was a semi-healthy option with Yasso Frozen Yogurt Pints. Their party animal did not disappoint with cake chunks and sprinkles evenly distributed through each bite.

We were headed down the home stretch with only one more brand to try, yet there were a million open pints in the deep freezer not even half eaten.

My spoon was ready to attack Haagen Dazs' Trio Crispy Layers. I tried both the vanilla caramel white chocolate and the lemon raspberry white chocolate. The vanilla caramel white chocolate did nothing for me. It was not nasty. But you know, I will probably end up trashing it. I like to really enjoy the calories I intake.

BUT the lemon raspberry white chocolate was easily declared my winner with my first spoonful. I am pretty sure my eyes got wide, I took a moment of silence, and frantically text Drea - the hints of lemon & white chocolate with a raspberry swirl was dreamy. THIS is exactly what I will stock my freezer with this summer.
Now THAT was hard work - I am just lucky I had such a great partner to tackle this research with me. So thank you Drea...there may be a Magnum White Tub in my freezer with your name on it. XOXO

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top