Reason, Season, or Lifetime?

Friends. Best female friends. I feel people throw the label "friend" around too loosely - everybody is NOT your friend, and you cannot become best friends over night. It takes time to develop a lasting and true relationship - my closest friends have weathered a lot with me and I am eternally grateful for their presence in my life. Personally, I hold my friends to a higher level than I would my mate. I share almost everything with my close friends (you have to discover which friends you can divulge what information to) and I do not try to hide my emotions/ feelings from them. They KNOW how I will react, what I am feeling sometimes even before I tell them. Therefore, if someone who I allow this close to me commits an act of betrayal or disloyalty they have to be released from my life immediately! Once I stop trusting you there is no getting it back. (yes, I know - I need to work on forgiving people without feeling as if I am being a pushover in the process)

Over the past year, I have been constantly changing and learning new things about myself. This evolution has caused me to take a deeper look at the people who surround me and those who I call my friends or those people who are under the perception we are "best friends" - it is weird how two people living the same thing has a completely different outlook on what is going on.

I needed to release myself from a few "friendships" in order to continue growing and I was content and at peace, yet this separation offended some parties. I always feel like I am being mean when I realize I need to distance myself or cut someone off, but I have come to the conclusion I have to do what is best for me at the end of the day - it is ok to be selfish sometimes.

Feelings become hurt when you stop returning phone calls, texts, tweets, or facebook messages. Or when you do not answer the door when they pop up at your house (case of the crazies).They do not understand your growth or they do not understand they do not belong in your inner circle. I learned a long time ago - you cannot allow everybody an inside look at your life. It will definitely come back to haunt you.

However, there are people who used to be closer to me, yet I felt like they were not supporting my ultimate goals and therefore they were not beneficial to keep around - I may have learned some lessons along the way, but the extra baggage began to weigh heavily on me. Or there were those people who only came around when they needed something from you or were going through something and it was then they decided to call.  Don't get me wrong, I do not have to talk to my friends everyday because many of them have started their own families and their priorities have shifted - but we do remain constant in one another's lives and we remain informed on what is going on.  Then there are those people who you grew a part when you were younger, yet you rediscovered your relationship after you had time to mature and can now appreciate the value they bring to your life.

We must all realize we will encounter lots of people in life. Some are here for a reason, season, or a lifetime. Their purpose may not be evident initially, but as time goes on you will discover it. There is no need for either party to sit around over-analyzing what happened or what you could have did for a different result. I think Dr. Seuss said it best, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.".



Reason, Season, or Lifetime
People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
When you figure out which one it is,
you will know what to do for each person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON,
it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
They have come to assist you through a difficulty;
to provide you with guidance and support;
to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
They may seem like a godsend, and they are.
They are there for the reason you need them to be.
Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.
What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.
The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.
Some people come into your life for a SEASON,
because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
They may teach you something you have never done.
They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.
LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;
things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person,
and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.

— Unknown

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

Back
to top