The Help - Great Read

I finally made myself finish The Help last week - I have had it since this summer and didn't crack it open. I actually started reading it over 2 weeks ago - but this was something I could not speed through. I had to get used to the language and I also had to put it down at times because of the anger it ignited.

So many people rave about this book - and I question what is it they like so much - is it the fact the book made you more aware of how "the help" was treated in this era? Could they relate to the incidents? Did they appreciate the actions of non-conformist, Skeeter - who despite knowing her actions may result in her being ostracized from her circle, she still wrote the book in order to advance her career? Do you think Skeeter really wanted to help these women or did she use them as a platform to get recognition and possibly land a job in New York City?

Outside of the obvious racism - this book also tackled many prevalent issues in today's society - abuse, alcoholism, inability to sustain a full pregnancy, cancer, relationships, difficulty finding your dream job (this is something in which I personally relate), among other things.

If you have read the book, what were your thoughts? Loved it? Hated it? Offended by the praise it received?

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top