February Reads


This month I read 11 books, which takes my total to 17 for the year.

Snapped by Tracy Brown was the first book I dove into. WHOA! What a start - I literally could not put this book down!!! And then the cliffhanger at the end?!?! OMG! I immediately pulled out my laptop at 2am to order the sequel from the library so I could find out how this tangled web of drama unfolds in Aftermath. This was a great follow up - I saw so many different sides of my former self through Camille, Misa, Toya, Dominique, and even Dominique's daughter, Octavia. I am the overprotective older sister; I have dealt with a man lying about the status of his relationship with his "baby mama"; I know how it feels to try to hold onto a relationship when it is obvious to everyone else it is over, but I tried harder just to make it work in order to save face for a) others' perception and b) because I felt I was a perfect partner; I've neglected things and people important to me because of a relationship with a man; I often times put up a guard to protect myself which may give others the impression I really do not care; I may have overlooked a good man just because he wasn't attractive to me yet put up with stuff from attractive men with ugly ways; and like these women, at the end of the day when I feel I am at my wit's end, I always have great family and friends I can lean on who pull me through and offer their support. I highly recommend these two books. 


I then discovered Victoria Christopher Murray's Jasmine Larson was back in Sinners & Saints, but she was coupled with Reshonda Tate Billingsley's Rachel from the Amen series since they co-wrote this new book. Of course, I first had to read the entire Amen series - Let the Church Say Amen, Say Amen Again, and Everybody Say Amen - before I could even think about opening up this new book. I am so impatient - Jasmine always entertains me and I wanted to read Sinners & Saints immediately - which made me read the entire Amen series in less than 2 weeks. Rachel definitely was crazy with her antics, I enjoyed the 1st book of the series the most - the others I just had to get through so I could know all the background facts for when I open Sinners & Saints. Imagine my disappointment when I realized the library has yet to get this book in stock, so I still have to wait. AGAIN. *sigh* And then a friend offered to get the book for me (maybe they were sick of hearing me complain about the lack of availability), I was sooooooo grateful and immediately tackled Sinners & Saints. Murray and Billingsley did not disappoint with this collaboration and I am sure there will be a sequel.

Sanctuary Cove by Rochelle Alers was another great read this month. There is something about her writing that captivates me - she is a clean writer and knows how to tell a tale. I loved the fact both Deborah and Asa were both bibliophiles - and Deborah opened up the ideal place for someone who loves to read - I wish we actually had places similar to this - but is the old fashioned book going to become extinct with the rise of the electronic book format?

The one thing that caught me off guard with this book (had me rereading the beginning pages 3 times) was the fact Deborah's son was named Whitney!!! They kept referring to her son and daughter and I kept thinking no she has two daughters (based on their names) - I have never encountered a man named Whitney - I am all for females having masculine names, but I do not like it the other way around.

Sanctuary Cove reminded me of my safe place - the one place where no matter what is going on I know for a fact I can retreat for comfort and I will emerge feeling renewed - this place is my parents' home. What is your private sanctuary?

I loved A Seductive Kiss by Francis Ray as well. I am a huge fan of her and I cannot remember a time I was disappointed by any of Mrs. Ray's work. I wholeheartedly understood Dianna's plight and it was so refreshing to see Alex stand in her corner supporting her while allowing her to find her shine. I literally could not put my kindle down as I read this book.

Since I have been going to the library so often, I have not used my kindle - when I opened it to read both Sinners & Saints and A Seductive Kiss, I noticed I had 45 pages of unread books. This is because amazon offers free books and I purchase them to read when I have nothing else to read. I decided to read a few of these books this month too. I had 3 books by author Mona Risk - Babies in the Bargain, No More Lies, and Right Name, Wrong Man. They were all based on characters who were doctors that worked in hospitals and the premise of carrying a torch for a former lover who happened to cross paths with them again. Not sure I would still have feelings for a man 7, 10, or 3 years after we parted ways. Seems pretty far fetched to me. While the books were enjoyable, I would not want to purchase them - however, they did reinforce my desire to go travel Paris and France to see all the beautiful treasures it offers.



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top