May Reads

With this month's 13 books, my yearly total is now 49. In the meantime, I am compiling my summer reading list and I am more than open to suggestions, so please share!

Ayana (my younger cousin) wanted to read Mimi Alford's Once Upon A Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath after she saw them discuss it on The View. I picked it up from the library for her and my interest was piqued, so I read it - AND hated it! I could not look past this woman being or acting so naive - and I cringed for Caroline Kennedy. What daughter wants to read the details of their father's affair and how he did her mother wrong?!?! Shameful if you ask me. Moving on...

I have joined the phenomenon - Fifty Shades of Grey that is - I started out as 99 on the library queue and finally moved to 65 - Andriece bought it for my kindle since she figured it would be my birthday before I actually got the book. And boy am I so glad she did...all I can say is um um um um um um um um um - if you haven't read these books yet - please do so. My only issue with them turning this trilogy into a movie is who would play Chrisitian - with EL James' description of this man, I have a picture in my head of what he should look like and I cannot think of any actor who could play this role currently.

I borrowed Fifty Shades Darker from Rach because I had to see what happened next, had no patience to wait for 5 other people to finish. Then there was Fifty Shades Freed - I could not get enough of these books. I am addicted to Grey and I can only hope there will be a 4th installment!

My favorite part of these books is the email exchanges between Christian and Anastasia - I always loved sending/receiving emails from someone I was dating - and I too (like Anastasia) seem to convey my feelings better when I sit down and type an email - I think it helps me sort through everything and I have the ability to edit or delete if it is not the tone I want conveyed - always a win in my book (because this tongue of mine when it lashes out - I am still working on it).

Since I will be embarking on a new phase of my life in less than 5 months, I decided reading Thirty Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know By the Time She's 30 may be a good step in preparation. And I am glad I did - instead of anxious, I am now excited on this new chapter.


Three of my favorite parts - by 30, you should have -
  • a calm voice, even under pressure. Leave yelling and screaming as a last resort. 
  • enough courage to say your feelings out loud. 
  • a sharp tongue, and the restraint to use it wisely.
I could not put down Eric Jerome Dickey's An Accidental Affair. Can an affair ever be considered accidental though??? 

Kimberla Lawson Roby's The Reverend's Wife is the latest in her Curtis Jackson series - it was ok - not as captivating as other books in the series, but as you probably already can tell, once I start a series I stick with it to see how everything turns out.

Sweet Southern Nights by Rochelle Alers was ok - I am now interested in the rest of the Eaton family especially since they came from Philadelphia.

Beverly Jenkins' Bring on the Blessings, A Second Helping, and Something Old, Something New were such great reads. Such heartwarming stories that made you believe in the decency of humanity again - I definitely cannot wait to read the next book in this blessings series.

Low Down and Dirty was not as good as the other Vickie M. Stringer's Dirty Red books although I still managed to breeze right through. I guess I have a high expectation for Red's antics and it wasn't met in this book - BUT I will read the next one because I have to see what happens betweem Q and Red.

Rochelle Aler's Capital Wives reminded me of Scandal - although this time the "Gladiators" were the wives. I loved this book and wouldn't mind a sequel to see what happens next with Deanna, Marisol, and Bethany.






CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top