June Reads

All girls dream and when we get hurt, our dreams become larger - in a means to protect ourselves from disappointment, if we set the bar higher everything will be ok, right?! We will become so set on reaching our goals we won't have "time" to pursue relationships - or so we think. Diamond Dreams by Zuri Day discusses just these issues and it was a quick, pleasurable read.

I loved Cheryl Robinson's When I Get Where I'm Going. The growth these 3 sisters (Heaven, Hope, and Alicia) experienced was commendable and I wouldn't mind a sequel. I am definitely curious to see if Heaven ever establishes a relationship with her "UC" (you have to read the book).

Heaven made an appearance in Cheryl Robinson's Remember Me. I didn't particularly care for this book - felt the resolution was unrealistic - some things cannot be forgiven - especially when it is your best friend who does you wrong. Since they have the inside trek to what makes you tick, they definitely know their limits. It's plain and simple - do not cross the line. Danielle definitely jumped into my forbidden area with Mia.

We all need our passions. Something that drives us and gives our life meaning. If not, what is the point of it all? This quote came from Donna Hill's What Mother Never Told Me. This book was so so. Although I couldn't fathom being in Parris' shoes. EVER. 

*Special Note* I have been attempting to read The Paris Wife by Paula McLain for over 6 weeks - I was excited because I really want to visit the city and I wanted to become familiar with the streets, the people, the sites, food, and atmosphere via this book. I finally discarded it after I never moved past page 60 and kept putting it on the back burner for other books. Highly disappointed. 

Jennifer Weiner released Swim free in ebook format - it is the prequel to her summer release The Next Best Thing. I love Jennifer's tweets about The Bachelor/ Bachelorette, so I was sure I would love her writing. Swim didn't intrigue me enough that I HAVE to read The Next Best Thing as soon as it comes out. I can wait. 

Twitter was ablaze with nothing but praise for Jillian Medoff's I Couldn't Love You More - I finally got my hands on it and it was pretty good. It didn't spark any tears although I know for lots of people it did - I was perplexed and it led me to ask myself many questions. 1. If one of my exes came into my life (an ex I ended badly with) would it cause me to act in disarray? 2. If I had a child and a stepchild, and they were both in danger - who would I save first? How would I make that decision? And what if they were both my biological children? Then what? 

My yearly total is now at 55. I have so many books on my summer reading list - let's see if I get to them all.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top