12 Days to 30 - Reflection

Instead of cleaning, cooking, and washing clothes on my day off, I decided to spend some one on one time with Pricey - we haven't did this in a long time. We had so much fun running around Smith Playground and then going to lunch. And let's be real - those chores aren't going anywhere, so I decided to indulge in something I wanted to do. 

He now loves the slide, but is scared of the swing. I guess he can only enjoy one at a time. 


Lunch at one of my fave places - Iron Hill Brewery - as you can see he eats all my faves. The perfect date! 
Auntie, are you sure I have to go back to my mom's house right now? 
When we ride in the car, I generally program Pandora Mickey Mouse channel (for obvious reasons) and we rock out. Today Mulan's Reflection came on. Who is that girl I see staring straight back at me? Why is my reflection someone I don't know? Somehow I cannot hide who I am, though I've tried. When will my reflection show who I am inside. 

I used to have this posted on my wall in high school and I would always come back to it as I struggled with making my own decisions, voicing what I wanted for my life and acting on it. Even in my 20s, I still battled with what I wanted and what others thought was best for me - it wasn't until I moved out of my parents house and was on my own that I began to blossom into the woman I was destined to become. 

I was then faced with making all of my own "grown up" decisions and if it wasn't the right one, I would learn from my mistakes - but they were my mistakes and learning curves. And still then it was a struggle because it was constant conflict in my relationship when I voiced my opinion or disagreed with what he thought was best. Yet against him I was never deterred from standing my ground - what could he do? Beat me? Put me on punishment? Try me if you dare - the only thing he could do was get mad and argumentative, but I learned a long time ago being a submissive woman was not me and if you wanted to be with me then it was mandatory you respect me and my opinion. There was no room for compromise. Which is why we did not work. 

It was a pivotal moment in my life when I began to see my true reflection - not what others viewed me as or what people wanted me to be - I was free to be Holly and do what it was I desired, be it right or wrong. It was my life - so my opinion is what mattered the most and that is when I began to shine. 

All this to say, don't allow others to define who you are destined to become - travel your own path in life. Make your own mistakes. Fall, cry, kick, and scream - but don't get off track. Your perseverance and dedication to your dream will make the success at the end of your journey that much sweeter. And ultimately you will be proud of your reflection in the mirror and simply smile. 



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top