The Great Gatsby

 

Ahhhhhhhhhh...the opulence, the Tiffany's jewels, the fashion, the parties, the architecture, the music, the love - I do not know what aspect was my favorite of Gatsby, but I definitely enjoyed seeing the movie with Between the Covers. 

I am also glad I finally buckled down and made myself read this classic novel. Once I looked past the language and fell in love with the story it was easier to enjoy.

There were two lines in the book (one actually made it into the movie) which stood out to me. Daisy was talking to Jordan about her daughter and she says, I'm glad it's a girl and I hope she'll be a fool - that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool. What does this imply for women in this era? Or women in general? Her beauty supercedes everything? Even her intelligence and skill set? And if you are beautiful, you should put up with anything as long as your man provides for you financially? This in itself is enough to genuinely be happy in life??? 

Nick's opening dialogue gave me something to ponder and I will leave you with this: the intimate revelations of young men or at least the terms in which they express them are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions. Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope. 



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top