Diving Between May's Covers

I somehow managed to complete a few books this month. They became my escape when I felt I wasn't taking enough time for myself. The least I could do was unwind between the covers, right?!

Dear Martin by Nic Stone
Two hours. The amount of time it took me to experience a full range of emotions while I digested Nic Stone's Dear Martin. So many feels I cannot express since I know some of you are also reading. BUT I will leave you with this line that resonated deep with me. 

You can't change how other people think and act, but you're in full control of you. When it comes down to it, the only question that matters is this: If nothing in the world ever changes, what type of man are you gonna be? 
Bad Men and Wicked Women by Eric Jerome Dickey
I am always left wondering how can a book over 300 pages amount to ONE day in Dickey's world. On top of that, his characters experience pure hell the entire duration. The only things I know for certain are my hard days never compare to this - and although I am complaining here, I will still pick up his next release anticipating a gem similar to The Blackbirds. This book was not it. 

BUT he left me with this little nugget...love was like never having felt water on your skin, then you ease into a warm pool. It feels good, but you go deeper and deeper, never realizing you can become lost, you can lose yourself in its depths, in its current, become victim to its undertow, and drown. It's romantic, but all romantics eventually meet the same fate. Being in love requires you to give the rein that controls your heart to someone else. You lose control. Not everyone embraces losing control. Not everyone wants to drown.  

An Honorable Seduction by Brenda Jackson
Of course after reading Bad Men and Wicked Women, I ran back to my comfort zone where I knew for certain there would be a happily ever after. An honorable man protecting the woman he loves?! Yup, I was enchanted again thanks to Mrs. Jackson and all was right with the world.

Without Merit by Colleen Hoover
This is the first book by this author I did NOT LOVE. So let's just skip this one, deal?! After I leave this here, not every mistake deserves a consequence. Sometimes the only thing it deserves is forgiveness. 

Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick
After 15 months of this book sitting on my night stand, I finished it. Anna Kendrick def has my kind of sarcasm, but you don't HAVE to read this. Just watch Pitch Perfect instead. 

Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler
The only reason I finally finished this book is because the series is currently airing on Starz. I wasn't too invested, BUT now I am straight pissed with the book and its ending. So I guess this means it was good?! Lol!

Let us now cast a philosophical glance at the pleasure or pain of which taste may be the occasion. 

And I am pretty certain I can be described as sweetbitter with a hint of salt.

Salt: your mouth waters itself...Salting the most nuanced of enterprises, the food always requiring more, but the tipping point fatal. 

Sugar: when we were wild, sugar intoxicated us, the first narcotic we craved and languished in. We've tamed, refined it, but the juice from a peach still runs like a flash flood. 

Bitter: always a bit unanticipated...once, when we were wild, it told us about poison. The mouth still hesitates at each new encounter. We urge it forward, say, Adapt. Now, enjoy it. 

Have you read anything good lately that needs to be added to my summer reading list?! 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top