Diving Between January's Covers

We should all be very familiar with the game I play every January...finally read all the library books carried over from the previous year. Why am I so good at this game?! 
Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren
With my first selection, I may have found a new favorite writing duo. This book is co-written by Christina & Lauren. Macy & Elliot's story gutted me, yet left me whole upon completion. I also may have pulled an all nighter just to finish. 

All American Boys by Jayson Reynolds & Brendan Kiely
I knew this book would stir up something within me, yet I pushed through. I definitely recommend it for all the teens. 

November 9 by Colleen Hoover
In an attempt to give myself light reading at night via my kindle, I started this while I wasn't yet finished with All American Boys. Let's just say, I was ignited by day and on an emotional rollercoaster by moonlight.  But true to form, I ended up loving this book. After all, you'll never be able to find yourself if you're lost in someone else. 

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis
I started something new this year when I initially returned to work. In a means of controlling my mindset, I decided I would listen to books during my commute and while I worked via the Hoopla app. First up was this selection. One thing I can say is although I may enjoy hearing the motivational words - I cannot recall anything. Besides the end...GIRL, WASH YOUR FACE! 

Come Away With Me by Karma Brown
I have never met a book by Karma Brown I did not love. And the lesson this time: death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal. 

The Power of Vulnerability by Brene' Brown
Another audio book I used as a calming effect during my day and we all know I need to work on being more vulnerable. In case you were wondering, we are back to ratchet lyrics. 

Do This for Me by Eliza Kennedy
NEW author #4 for me this month (spoiler alert - the next one is new as well) and I couldn't help but smile as this story unfolded. Moral: although we have ideas in our head of how things should be, never let someone dim your light. 

And let's not forget THIS PART: Men and women. Men versus women. The problem was so complicated- but so easy! It was about tradition and culture and propaganda and biology. It was about being a subject, and being an object. Men being the default. Women being raised to defer, to apologize. To react, rather than act. It was about people lacking imagination, and empathy, about everyone being so jealous of their own prerogatices, so reluctant to admit error and so afraid. 

How to Walk Away by Katherine Center
I ended the month with this jewel focused on strength, resilience, transformation, and savoring every moment. THIS is my current state and let's just say - I'm ready. After all, there are all kinds of happy endings



Have you read anything good lately?! 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top