Guest Blogger (Alicia) - What My 20s Taught Me

I am excited to post my first entry for Flirting with 30. Alicia has shared some of her lessons learned. Alicia and I went to high school together and although we did not hang out together - I still feel a connection to her. We are both Libras and our similarities are uncanny at times - I am thankful we were able to connect and become closer through the help of social networks. Thanks Alicia for your contribution. 


1. People are going to always have an opinion.

I decided to pursue psychology and womens studies. "But you should be in theater, you can be famous with those acting skills". I became pregnant my final year of undergrad. "You shouldn't have it, you're not established or married." I was in a controlling relationship, planning a wedding and decided to leave him. "You might as well stay, every man has issues". The opinions never stopped even long after I stopped telling people what I was going to do. Family, friends, co-workers. Everyone thinks they have the inside scoop on the best way to handle YOUR life. Unfortunately, it wasn't until my very very late 20's that I began tuning them out.


2. It's not abnormal to not know what you want to be.

Half of the 20 somethings is a a great opportunity to just be and live day to day, enjoying all life and youth has to offer. Our culture teaches us to choose our life path by 18 but many of my friends and loved ones are still making their way and finding their path as late 20 somethings and early 30 somethings. I wouldn't want any young woman to feel as though she was strange for not having a carved permanent map of the next 60 years. We are entitled to change our minds, change careers, switch plans and live as we grow.

3. 100 nights of good sex with one person is far better than 100 nights of unpredictable sex with 10 people.
Sex is fun. Sex is enjoyable, especially when you master your techniques with one person. Who came up with the idea that testing out different people would somehow improve your sensual life?! That couldnt be farther from the truth. When you are with someone you trust, and someone you can be honest with, you can be free in the bedroom to explore, create and perfect!

Finally 
4. Friendships will evolve.
So evolve could mean many things. I've learned to be adaptable and not force anyone into or out of my life. Faith is a huge companion because you will be tested. As you exit school environments, get a job, set up your home, and become a professional, you will meet new people and grow in different ways. Everyone you knew in high school or middle school will not necessarily grow in the same way. And that's ok! There needs to be a willingness to let go. There needs to be some flexibility so that maybe she isn't at your house every night and on the phone every day but each month you make a date to spend with your friend from 8th grade. Or on July 4th of every year you make plans to visit the beach and spend a weekend re-connecting. Or maybe you send a Christmas card and wish them well. Growing isn't always easy!

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea!!! I'm sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CANT wait for my spot...im too excited...but yup alicia is right about the last one (and of course all of her points) but the last one the most :)

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top