Guest Blogger: Cues Waterworks

Our next guest blogger is a surprise...meaning I gasped when I saw the email pop up on my phone. I appreciate her taking the time to contribute to 35 to 35. She has been with me THROUGH IT ALL. She also introduces herself...so let's jump right in. I may have added some commentary along the way. 

Hello Stilletos With My Latte readers,

Let me introduce myself. Depending on when your relationship started with Holly, she probably described me as the most loving and coddling mother (infancy to pre-teens), the worst and meanest mother ever (teen - mid twenties), the best mom, friend, confidant, right hand (late twenties - current). I guess you get it now, I am Holly's Momma, as she so affectionately calls me today and I am proud to call her my daughter.

First, let me tell you that she had no idea I was going to write this guest blog. She asked me to do it and I chose to simply not respond to her request. This is my tactic with her when asked to do something I so don't want to do. However, this evening something came over me and I decided I would write this and turn the spotlight on her. Oh...how she is not going to like this! (HIDES)

My relationship with Holly started almost 35 years ago. Really it was 35 years and approximately 8 months ago, as she entered the world 1 month early. The hospital and doctors prepared for the delivery of a pre-mature baby, but she entered the world weighing 6 pounds 12 ounces. All was well. During the pregnancy, I consistently prayed for a baby girl, as I could not fathom having a son at that time, because I had 3 younger brothers. GOD blessed me with my little girl. Needless to say, our mother-daughter bond was immediate. As a young mother, inherently wanting the absolute best for Holly, I attribute her existence as a motivator to the successes I encountered with my career.
Holly was a shy and cheerful baby, a thumb sucker and a daddy's girl. In case you did not know, she is still a daddy's girl. Her daddy can do no wrong. In her early private school years, she excelled in all areas. Upon entering Central High School, she continued to do well, but school also became her social haven and her priorities started to change. This is when Holly started to take a strong interest in boys, often resulting in sneaky and deceitful behavior. You ask what Holly's consequences were for her behavior? She will tell you she was endlessly on punishment. She even goes as far as to say at one point in time I became so tired of punishing her, I announced she was on a permanent punishment. Now, would I do that? (WHY YES, YES SHE DID!!! I could NOT talk on the phone, BUT I could go out. I had to get crafty with making plans.) After graduating from Central's 259th class, she worked her way part-time through college and she graduated from Temple University making me a very proud Momma!

As an adult, Holly is genuinely a loving person and she goes above and beyond to assist others. She is the go to event and party planner and her skills in this area are phenomenal. She is often sought after by her friends and family to help with the planning of an event. She is a stickler to detail and ensures these events are enjoyed by all. Selflessly, she typically has not charged for her services and I continue to remind her that she is providing a service and that her time is valuable. After all, a mother is entitled to her opinion, right?

As the oldest grandchild, she naturally became the cousin that the younger children admired. Even today, she continues to host kiddie events for the younger cousins. They look forward to their annual events and sleepovers. In recent years, Holly has tried to slither away from hosting these get togethers, but they are not allowing this to happen. No way! No how! (AND they now have cell phones, so they contact me directly. There is no where to hide.)

Holly is hands down, the best aunt ever! By the way, I am not the only person that feels this way. Of course Price shares this sentiment, but her actions are observed and witnessed by many. The two of them have a bond like no other. Whether they are in an aunt-nephew discussion or a husband-wife debate, their relationship is remarkable.

I am proud of the woman Holly has become. She finds happiness in pleasing others, shopping, reading, blogging, traveling and trying new restaurants. While my personal relationship with Holly has certainly seen the test of times, the relationship we have today is full of love, understanding and mutual respect! Holly is one of my greatest accomplishments and I would not change our relationship in any way. Holly at times completes my thoughts, this can be eerie and we laugh when it occurs. She is dependable and always willing to lend a helping hand. During family gatherings, she is by my side cooking and she doesn't shy away from the dreaded clean-up duties. When I am stressed, she is there for me offering comforting words or a listening ear. Most recently, as I geared up for major surgery she tirelessly asked me what she could do to help me ensure all pertinent matters were handled prior to the hospital stay and during my recuperation. As she helped me prepare, she remained upbeat while in my presence, although her eyes told a different story. Her love and fear were visible. She ensured me all household duties would be handled and she demanded I let go and trust all would be well. During my recovery, Holly has kept me honest and was steadfast in guaranteeing I was following the doctor's orders and not over doing it.
As you embark upon the 35th anniversary of your birth Holly, I desire many things for you. Foremost, always remember to put GOD first and everything else will align itself accordingly. Remain the kind and giving person you are, but I caution you to establish boundaries. Live a purposeful live, by continuing to seek the things that make you happy. May GOD  continue to bless you abundantly and shower you with HIS grace. I wish you continued success and happiness, as you explore your new job opportunity. May your career continue to blossom. May you keep those in your immediate circle of family and friends honest and learn to say "NO" when needed. Trust me, it is OK! I look forward to our continued mother - daughter getaways and our annual shopping event. Last but not least, if it is in GOD's plan, may you find your soul mate who will fulfill your dreams. Remember we are responsible for our own happiness.

Love you Holly Dawne! Happy 35th Birthday! (Thanks mom, LOVE YOU TOO! Xoxo)

Mommy


CONVERSATION

10 comments:

  1. Why y'all got me at my desk about to cry?! I love you both to the moon and back and I only hope that Steph and I share a bond as rich and deep as yours! #foreverinmyheart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STACY!!! She is making everybody cry - we love you too and I am quite certain you 2 do. <3

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful, honest, authentic tribute to a beautiful honest, authentic relationship! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much transparency, I love it, as I love both of you. Ang, great story. Holly charge people for your services, they are worth it and your business will be born. You can still love people and they can show how much they appreciate you by validating your skills, time and worth. Being 35 does mean taking a place in the world/community. You are beyond ready...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was BEAUTIFUL Angie! HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love everything about this ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top