Happy 50th Birthday Mommy!!!

Sheesh! Is it April or June?! It definitely feels like my father's bday (June 22) just passed instead of my mother's (April 12). Generally it is raining on my mother's birthday and we always are dashing out to dinner in between heavy downpours for dinner, but since this year was a BIG birthday we wanted something different.

My first instinct was to throw her a fabulous party at Water Works and invite her closest friends and family...yet someone decided they didn't want a party - they wanted to go away. The airfare going anywhere last weekend was astronomical due to Easter, Spring Break, and people having booked their trips almost a year in advance. So flying was definitely out.

I then had to see when my father's inspector's test was scheduled and if he was available to travel with her or if they had to twist my arm I would join my mother. And then I had to figure out where - she doesn't like New York so that was out - and then all of a sudden I had an idea - Washington DC - they were having their cherry blossom festival, she had never visited the MLK memorial, she wanted to tour the white house, AND she kept talking about dinner on a yacht. I immediately put in a phone call to both Jeannette and Will Harper as they helped me bring this trip to life. We never told my mother where she was going - simply told her what types of outfits she needed and we went shopping and found her 2 fabulous dresses, a new pair of shoes, and a few casual outfits - after all, it was her 50th birthday! She definitely deserved to look her best - her hair appointment was already scheduled and mani/pedis were on the agenda before her departure. With reservations in place for dinner on her birthday at The Oceanaire, a tourist day on Friday, and brunch aboard the Odyssey Saturday morning everything was set.

Birthday Bourquet waiting for her arrival at her room

Flowers from her co-worker
Everything was going according to plans until Saturday morning, when one wrong turn resulted in them being stuck in traffic and missing the boat by 10 minutes even though they had left 90 minutes in advance. Major bummer! They were both pretty disappointed as were Collin and I. But you know what things happen and this just means we have to go do it another time. 

The reason I held this blog was because I thought they would come back with pictures for me to use, but that is not the case. LOL! 

BUT anyways, HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY MOMMY!!!! I hope you enjoyed your quick getaway despite Saturday. Thank you for always being there for us no matter what and being someone we can depend on regardless of the circumstances. It may have taken me awhile, but I now realize all of your tough love I resisted was because you want the best for me. I can only hope to one day exhibit the same qualities I admire in you as both a woman and a mother. Your tenacity and sacrifice in my earlier years definitely do not go unnoticed and is immensely appreciated. In a way, I feel as though we grew up together and you are the most perfect role model/mother for me. I love you! XOXO 

By the way, I didn't tell you your other birthday gift yet - me and you are going to take a dance class if you are interested - line dancing or salsa - you pick and I will schedule. 

P.S. We have less than 3 weeks to figure out something for Yells' 25th birthday AND less than 2 months to figure out daddy's 50th. Any thoughts?!

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Its superb as your other blog posts :D, appreciate it for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top