Guest Blogger (Auntie) - Dance to the Beat of Your Own Drum


This blog was written by my auntie. THANK YOU for taking the time to contribute to my project. I won't write an extensive introduction, since her entry is lengthy - here is her advice and experience as she entered into this phase of life. 
 
Let me begin with saying what an honor it is to be asked to be a guest blogger on this site. I have known Holly since her birth and she has always held a special place in my heart. I took the first photos of her with the family when she came home from the hospital and I still can visualize clearly each of those special moments in our lives and the looks of love and awe on the faces of one and all as they beheld and held her for the first time. The tears in dad’s eyes, and the happiness and excitement in all of us that you were now a part of our lives.

Our twenties I believe are about finding out who we really are. It is usually in our twenties that we leave home and experience life through our choices rather than our parents’ choices for us. This is a time when typically over partying and other self-abuses will occur until we find our limits for ourselves. In other words, we learn self-discipline. Not necessarily a bad thing, for with it comes exploring our personal interests separate from those of our family of origin. We gravitate toward people who share our habits and directions.

For me this is what it looked like. I left college and went to work as an internal auditor, which is  basically an accountant within a company.   After a few years of 9 to 5, 7 days a week, I realized that this, to me, was not real life.  It was a form of slavery.  Beautiful sunny days and here I was in stockings, high heels, and uncomfortable clothes, stuck in an office, doing the same old thing every freaking day. I was great in my job, but they were not promoting women. There were women who had been doing their work for many years brilliantly, but they were going nowhere. The company would bring in younger males, with no special IQ and have them trained by the most talented older women workers and then promote the males, over them.  We called it a glass ceiling. I thought,” got to go”. I’m not going to live my life here when there is so much more to be doing in the world. Also, I could not get my head around the thought that I was indoors on beautiful days. It just didn’t sit well with me.  So I agreed with a friend to pack up and move to New Orleans.  I had a list of places I wanted to travel to at the time and N.O. was one of the places on the list.

 I’ve always had the belief that the world held such big and diverse places, with so many interesting places, so that, I never believed that we were meant to be born, grow up, live and die in the same place on the planet. To me that is totally irrational thinking. Life is just too short and important and wonderful.  So I bought a new/used car, packed my things and we drove, together, in two separate cars to N.O. On the way we met some guys who told us that “ in life you have to do your time and if you do it right you can retire early and enjoy life”. They had gone to work, worked hard, for a period of time, made big money, ( I don’t remember how) and had bought a pizza parlour(their dream). I don’t remember which state, we were in or anything else about them. It stuck in my mind about working hard to achieve what you want and then you can take it easy.  My car had overheated on a Sunday afternoon as we were driving south, somewhere in the mountains of, maybe, South Carolina, in the middle of nowhere.  These guys came along, took us for food and drinks, fixed my car and off we went to N.O. I still love a Volkswagen to this day because with a bit of ingenuity they are always so easy to repair. But I digress. I was 23 at the time. When we got to N.O., I worked as a roustabout on an oil rig, in the Gulf of Mexico, where I was one of only two women on the rig. We lived on the rig for a week at a time and worked 12hrs on and had twelve hours off, 7 days a week.  The work was hard but energizing - good and liberating. I used to walk around the rig singing” I am woman hear me roar… “to myself. I started off making $664.00 per week and within 2 months I was making $708.00 per week. I used to get off work at the end of my 7 day stint, and the beginning of my 7 days off, catch the helicopter, back to land, drive, 2 to 3 hours home, pack a bag, take a plane to Philadelphia, and spend the week there with my boyfriend and still have more money in my pocket then if I had worked a week in the3 office in Philly.  I had had a taste of alternative living, and it was good.  

Needless to say this started me on other adventures. Eventually I moved home to Philly again where I worked again with people helping them take failing business and turn them around to profit. Jumping ahead, at 27 I moved to California, another place on my list, and I thought I was home. Life seems to grow up around you when you are in the right place at the right time on the planet.  I landed in Venice Beach with some of my favorite cousins from Philly who had relocated a few years prior, with their mother.  I reunited with my cousins, and went to Santa Barbara to visit a friend from Philly who had moved there a year prior.  I had only planned to visit as I was traveling up the coast to San Francisco, but I stayed. Like I said life grew up around me.  I got asked to do a job sitting behind a counter at the best Health food supermarket in Santa Barbara, at the time, named “Follow Your Heart”.  It sat on the Supplement isle, with best of everything available at the time and people would come and ask questions about everything from the best hair shampoo for eczema suffers, the first food to feed babies to what herbs and foods were useful for curing cancer, or aides, or body building, or detoxing mercury…..  Herbs and food as medicine had been two of my hobbies, since my late teens. Now I was actually using my knowledge and studying more, and surrounded by people whose goal in life was to be as healthy, fulfilled, and in harmony in life as possible. To top it off I was going out at night on my bike to the spa or dancing to live music, available everywhere.  I had found my niche! And I was truly showing who I was in the world and being appreciated for it.  I believe that is what the twenties are all about.  Finding yourself, and who you are, and what you believe and what really matters to you.

From 28 to thirty one is said to be in their Saturn return. It is, I believe a time when the chickens come home to roost and we are tested to see if ones beliefs about themself are true, and if our beliefs in life actually will hold water. 
For some this is a trying time, especially if they have gotten off their life path and are basically living someone else’s ideas or ideals for them. 

Well I can honestly say for me a great change occurred. It wasn’t till I turned 30 that I figured that I had accomplished everything major that I had wanted to do up to that time, choreographing a big dance performance, building a great network of supportive, smart, healthy living, people around me. We were dreaming and going out and achieving the things that we wanted to do in our lives.  I was also at my healthiest and fittest in my life. I was actually more healthy, and beautiful because of that, at thirty than I had been at twenty.  I thought I was ready to have a great child and add them to my great life. Up till that point having a child had not been on my agenda.
My boyfriend at the time was not interested, so I told him that I was moving out, which I did. I packed up, went home for the summer to say goodbye to my family, because I had decided that I wanted to move to a tropical island to raise my child, and I figured that I could do my work anywhere in the world.  

Life is strange and wonderful. That was the summer that you were four Holly and I got to take care of you, while your parents worked. We had a blast, long walks, and hikes, and picnics at Valley Green, and other parts of Fairmount Park.  Big shopping adventures and playground fun.   It felt good to be around my family and be myself. I think that it can be a real challenge to find yourself when you are around your family all the time. I find that people, friends included are not always so supportive in letting us grow, change and evolve into who we really are. They often want to believe that we are the same, so that they do not have to look at themselves and their life and where they have not evolved, and need to grow. Every day alive is an opportunity, a new start. What we do with it is up to us. It can be the beginning of you walking your truth or it can be just another day of the same old stuff. I think that people begin to age when they stop trying new things and exploring their interests, and expressing their hearts truth. But that’s me.

To make a long story short; I had those amazing children at 33 and 37. I moved to the big, South Pacific, tropical island of Australia, where I have lived for the last 20 years.  My daughter, Indigo, took off for London, in May, at the age of twenty and says that the world is too big a place and she never wants to come back to Australia to live. What can I say?  The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, but it does roll away. She says that if I want to see her come to London. Sequoya, my youngest finishes school next October, and then I’m out of here and planning my next move, possably, island hopping from Greece to Turkey.

I think your thirty’s are a new beginning. It is where we find our place in the world. If 28 to 30, your Saturn return, was trying and difficult, then it is a time for adjustment and getting back to your life’s goals and pleasures. Outcomes become very important and essential in your thirties. Pleasing others and trying to get them to love you a certain way goes out the window and we realize that we are the great lovers in our lives and as we get it right for ourselves, giving ourselves what we truly want and saying yes to what we love in our lives and having the same compassion for ourselves that we do for others, we inadvertently teach people how to love us and let go of those who do not love us to make room for those who do, to come into our world.  

You realize that others will always have their own opinion, but in your life, your viewpoint and what you do about it is all that truly matters.

With Love,
Aunt Tanya
Byron Bay, Australia

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. I'm inspired! I have always felt that I was wasting my life away by sitting in an office doing a 9-5. Mainly because I know that the 9-5 is not taking me where I want to go. You have given me confirmation that someone that moves about and explores the world is not unstable but someone that has courage to do something out of the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top