We All Fall Short

Before I share stolen moments from Home Alone 7, I want to reflect on a Thursday night in January. 

Price had come in from basketball and I shouted down to him, what day is tomorrow - this would signify what Price had to wear the next day. He replied art, so I quickly pulled a regular uniform, without hesitating, never stopping to check his folder. 

The next morning, minutes before his van arrived, he realized he did not have to wear an uniform since he had perfect attendance. I was pulling into the parking lot at work when I received notice - Price was upset and crying as he walked outside.

My dad could not understand why Price was so upset. Maybe it is because he wears an uniform everyday, so to him it wasn't a big deal. However, he earned it and would now not reap his reward.
How cute - his school spelled his name wrong
As an adult, I had fallen short. I relied on Price's word instead of taking a moment to look in his folder to see what was on his agenda for the day. I must admit, I felt horrible. I debated driving all the way home and taking a change of clothes to his classroom as a surprise. But I did not. It stuck with me all day. I knew for a fact we would have pizza for dinner and possibly dessert in bed to make up for his rough morning. 

However, when Price came home, his mood had changed and he simply said, it's ok - everybody makes mistakes sometimes. YET he did not forget. The next Friday was dress down day again. As we drove home from basketball practice, he asked me to please not forget and make him sad again.

So many lessons here. Kids amaze me with their resiliency and their willingness to forgive. Also, we cannot allow life to consume us - we all need to slow down and take those extra moments needed to ensure everything is in order.  And lastly, WHAT IS ORDER - we all fall short from time to time. We need to learn to not be so hard on ourselves when we mess up. Shit happens. And every day we are presented with an opportunity to start anew. Embrace it.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top