Diving Between August's Covers

Ahhhh...I finally feel like I made a dent in my Summer Reading List.

Am I the only one who stalks their library holds?! I do not understand how THREE books were released on Tuesday, yet they are still not available for pick up. What's the hold up here?! 


This month I broke a few cardinal rules. I went to see Crazy Rich Asians and watched To All The Boys I Loved Before on Netflix. Both based on books I never read.

I cannot even describe how amazing Crazy Rich Asians was...I was transfixed as I sipped on my frose' while laughing and almost crying a few times. If you haven't seen this movie, please do so. 

After a crazy hectic week, To All The Boys I Loved Before was a nice way to unwind. There are 2 other books in the series, so I hope Netflix has plans to finish this out so I know how the story ends. 

Now on to the books I actually did read. Shockingly, there were no bad ones lurking in the bunch. 

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
I wasn't really interested in this until I saw Kerry Washington & Reese Witherspoon were executive producing and starring in a miniseries on Hulu. I am now ready for a release date. 

Sometimes you need to scorch everything to the ground and start over. After the burning the soil is richer, and new things can grow. People are like that, too. They start over. They find a way.  

Better Late Than Never by Kimberla Lawson Roby
I am not sure where to begin with this...but as the last book of the Reverend Curtis Black series, I definitely wanted more. The book was good - JUST NOT as a final chapter. 

Room Service by Rochelle Alers
The Innkeepers series is a breath of fresh air. And I raise my glass to wish you your heart's desire.
Red velvet cupcakes with white chocolate made especially for me by Andriece. Nom! 
Every Time You Go Away by Beth Harbison
I experienced all types of emotions while consuming this book. It did not gut me to my core, but dealing with grief is a unique experience for every individual. There is no right or wrong way. You just have to do what's best for you. 

Dearr Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manfesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
I highly recommend every village raising a child reading this book. It is THAT important with today's climate. 

Because when there is true equality, resentment does not exist. 

Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser
There has been a common theme among a ton of my books this year. (SPOILER ALERT) For some reason, I am being drawn to books with domestic violence. I have no idea why, but the moral of the story is...women HAVE to stick together. Help others GET OUT by any means necessary...
she closed her eyes and joined in, letting go of her questions, her worries, her doubts. She'd almost forgotten how good it felt to simply allow herself to be pulled along. 

As soon as I finished, I had to flush my mind a bit so I started...

The Life Lucy Knew by Karma Brown
I have yet to read a bad book by Mrs. Brown - she def knows how to suck you in to another place.

Note to self: You have the right to change your present if it doesn't fit with the future you envision. 

Soooo have you read anything good this summer?! 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top