Diving Between June's Covers

I seem to finally have gotten into a groove where I am actually reading routinely. It may have something to do with me creating a reading nook and wanting to enjoy my space. 

However, Goodreads keeps reminding me how behind I am on my yearly goal. I think we can just chuck those out the window at this point, right?! 

I have adjusted my goal to highlight more diverse authors on bookstagram. Even though some of these books may not be on trend with mainstream influencers, we are striving to bring more awareness to these releases. 
The Other Sister by Donna Hill
Goodreads Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️
As soon as I finished reading The House Divided, I anxiously awaited the sequel to be released. Three years later and Kimberly's story didn't disappoint. ⁠
Would she reunite with her birth mother & sister? How would these family secrets impact her life moving forward? How would her children adapt to new family members? Would her husband accept her roots? ⁠
While The Other Sister focused on Kimberly, we also revisited Zoie. Both sisters experienced growth and acceptance within themselves of who they truly are...I would love to catch up with them both in a few years to see where they land. ⁠

In A Holidaze by Christina Lauren 
Goodreads Rating: ⭐️⭐️
Even though I am grateful for this ARC from NetGalley, I was a tad bit disappointed by this one. Full disclosure, I think I just may not be a fan of the whole Groundhog theme. I cannot voice my frustrations without giving it away...

BUT let me tell you. We all need an Uncle Benny. A person who is always looking out for your best interest, keeping your secrets, and helping you work thru your internal thoughts. 

Careful What You Click For by Mary B. Morrison
Goodreads Rating: ⭐️⭐️
You know how the saying goes...if you go looking for trouble, you will find it. ⁠
Please note: I am now even more terrified of dipping my toe in the online dating pools. 

Color Me In by Natasha Diaz
Goodreads Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Broken hearts. Easily triggered feelings. Despair. Depression. Longing to be accepted. Fighting to identify your true/best self. Vulnerability. Trust. Broken hearts. Rebuilding. Finding your voice. ⁠
*whispers* What's the likelihood we will get snow this summer?! 
SHEESH! The gamut of emotions while experiencing Nevaeh's transformation. 😨⁠

Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo
Goodreads Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Please excuse me as I was a bit taken aback when I opened this one. I text Caren, I am confused. Is this entire book lyrical or a poem. ⁠As I settled in, it all began to make sense. ⁠
Life dealing with grief is a melodic cadence peppered with high notes and deep baritones striking chords within you no one else will be able to understand. Sometimes you get stuck in a loop, but a triggered memory will make you smile. ⁠
I am confident as Camino & Yahaira continue to figure out life, they will exist in a harmony that accents both of their beats.⁠

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top