Not Your Average Libra Season

It seems as though Libra season was a blur this year. And not because I was so busy with an endless social calendar. But moreso because I was in a fog attempting to stick to my routines and taking things one day at a time.

However, if you surround yourself with an amazing support system, they ensure you take the time to celebrate you even if life is throwing some wicked curve balls.

So let's see...what birthday behavior did I indulge in THIS year?!

First things first, after a social media conference in the city there was a rooftop with my name on it at Revolution House. Caren & Liz indulged me by staying out late on a work night for drinks, appetizers, and pizza. Since my house was empty and I was not in a state to be alone (more on that later), I was more than grateful for this distraction.

And before my few days off from work, there was sassy mugs, flowers, a new book AND notebook with fancy pens, white chocolate, Magnolia Bakery's cupcakes, AND wine.  You know all Libra things.
As soon as I left the office that day, I headed straight to Lisa's chair for some color and a cut. All I knew was that my mood called for DARK hair and I left the rest up to her. I knew I could trust Lisa to give me what I needed just in time for my date with Bogs at 10pm that night.

Since sleep has been hard to come by I figured why say no, right?! And what is even more shocking is she beat me there. That NEVER happens. She grabbed me a wine flight to ease some of my anxiety before we went to go see The Hate U Give. This movie was great, however, I feel like they left out some vital parts from the book. If you have seen the movie and read the book, hit me up - I want to discuss.
My next date was with Price. We had a deal. If I took him to see Venom, he HAD to sleep alone. I felt like the previews were too scary - but he was insistent and loved every minute.
Now we all know I love a Sugar Factory celebration even though I have only experienced it once. YOU GO GIRL! When I found out they had an Atlantic City location, I KNEW this would be my family request especially since Price didn't have a soccer game that weekend.


Apparently, someone was taking selfies and applying filters as I slept on the way back



Birthday mani with a peanut butter cup martini. Yum!


On Sunday, I headed out to go shopping with Shana. Let me be clear, I had every intention on just catching up with her while she did damage. However, things did not go down that way. As I started trying on shoes, I noticed our salesman's nametag read "TC". If Shana prompting me wasn't enough, that was all I needed to decide they would all go home with me. AND additionally, I now had to get some clothes to wear with my new beauties. Please note, upon showing Drea my new shoes - she had to conceal her secret of my cold shoulder gift she purchased which goes perfectly with my peep toe nude mid-calf booties. I don't know how she exhibited such self control. *giggles* 

We had to refuel after all that shopping at Grand Lux Cafe with bellinis, lunch, and red velvet cake before meeting Maya and Ja'Niyah to see A Star is Born. This movie was gut-wrenching. And WHO knew Lady Gaga could blow like that?! My heart is not ready to listen to the soundtrack, but one of these days I will download it and indulge.
This leads us into my birthday, which I was not ready to face. But one foot in front of the other AND remember to breathe, right?! I am not going to lie - I laid in bed for most of the day and may have cried a bit too. BUT my parents told me I should go to lunch/dinner with Anthony. So that's exactly what I did. He took me to Paladar Latin Kitchen & Rum Bar where he indulged in a rum tasting and I punked out of my rum punch because it was too strong. More sangria please?! Yet their sweet potato donuts rolled in vanilla sugar with a coffee caramel dipping sauce was heavenly.

Did you know October was both national pizza AND national dessert month?! So you know I had to make an outing for JUST pizza. I was originally going to just go to Bar Lucca, but I told Bogs we were heading into the city and my new shoes were joining us.

We ended up at Porta and I immediately fell in love with the decor. Somehow Bogs spotted a fried grilled cheese on the menu, which came with a side of their homemade sauce. Now if you know me, I was definitely on the fence about trying this BUT the pizza I was all in on. Uhhhhh...color me surprised when I loved it after the first bite and ended up eating my half. I guess trying new things aren't that bad after all, huh?!


After we left, I had one more request. This was literally the only thing I knew I wanted to do for my birthday. Alex had created me a drink with lavender a few weeks prior at Somo Manayunk and said he would make it for my birthday. Imagine my face when he told me he couldn't remember exactly what was in it. BUT Ryan was working and told me he would come up with something for me to try. Once again, they did not disappoint and it was love at first sip. I am glad Bogs loved it too because she said she had heard about this drink enough. LOL! We also had some beignets while I sipped on my second specialty drink. Nom.
Now my mom made a comment to me a few weeks prior that I needed to come alive again. I think my parents' birthday gift was tied into assisting me with this...I was so excited when she told me she was going to take me to NYC to see a play on Broadway. And not just any play, American Son with Kerry Washington. I just had to promise not to fan girl.
This play was INTENSE. YET it is exactly what our society needs to see right now. Chills coursed through my body when it was over. 
Who does she think she is?! LOL! 

What made this trip more special to me is the fact that I know my mom doesn't particularly like NYC. The congestion drives her up a wall. YET she sacrificed her comfort so I could do something I love.

Now how can you fall for Libra season without a trip to Linvilla?! The weather really played on us postponing our trip 2 weeks. But then I finally geared up the kids to go for a hayride to the witches house followed by a camp fire and s'mores. And of course my mom joined us because I do not want to be too far from her right now. I am certain this is draining for her, but uhhhhh I just need to know where she is and that I can easily access her. I guess in a way, she is my security blanket. Not to mention, the kids LOVEEEE when mema comes along for our fun and this was Blake's first time joining us.














Now there may not have been balloons, sparklers, or a ton of planning this year, but there was a ton of love. So from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU to everybody who played a part. My gratitude is immeasurable.

P.S. I may be overdue for brunch and a spa day. Anybody care to join me?! XOXO

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top