Guest Blogger: Living at 35

At this point, Amber doesn't need an introduction. We wandered open roads and adopted a pure life for a week in Costa Rica. And who could forget brunch with a table stud she found for my birthday last year?!  

Dear Amber, thanks for forcing me to be more vulnerable and to try more things - if you were wondering, I am STILL rolling my eyes; also, thanks for always answering my FaceTime calls and listening to my rants; and do I even have to extend my gratitude for you just getting in the car and riding with me when I am beyond flustered not knowing WHERE our destination may be, but knowing for a fact we will end up with food AND drinks at some point?! If so, THANK YOU! 

Now let's see how you are living at 35.

Life...it is filled with ups and downs, straight and curved roads, and some paths even overlap... EVERYTHING that makes life worth living. Living life is not meant to be easy. Every day you wake up to take another breath, you become a survivor of life and its challenges placed before you.

I recently re-read my guest blog post for turning 30 and all I can say is “Wow, what a difference
5 years make!” At 30 (or 25), I was focused on learning what life has to offer and today I am
focused on living.
Let me give you a little background. At 25 years old, I felt so accomplished. I had purchased my
first home and graduated with my first Master’s degree, however, that was also the year I was
diagnosed with endometriosis. At the time, I knew very little about this disease that affects an
estimated 176 million women worldwide. All I knew was the paralyzing pain that stopped the
world on its axis during my cycle was NOT normal. After numerous doctor’s appointments and
ultrasounds, I found out ovarian cysts were twisting around my lady parts causing the pain.
Getting them removed was the solution...or maybe not...

The diagnosis of endometriosis was not a death sentence (according to Google) and my best
friend “Mirena” would manage my pain. Problem solved, right?! WRONG!

As if endometriosis wasn’t enough, last year I was diagnosed with cervical pre-cancer.
“LAWD JESUS……… CANCER????!!!!!” My mind immediately went to the worst possible
case and let me say google inevitably signed my death certificate. The discussion of a
hysterectomy was back on the table and I had a major decision to make. After crying my eyes
out, suffering a constant headache, and getting pass the thought of them wanting to take the
opportunity of me having another child away (assisted by the pain in my lower pelvic
region), the advantages of the hysterectomy began to surface.

Today I am living at 35 with one ovary, one fallopian tube, half of my cervix (all of which will
be removed soon), no period, no cervical pre-cancer, no pain and no possibility of having another
child of my own...but I’m LIVING! AIN’T GOD GOOD?!?!

At 34 years of age, I had to make a decision about the quality of life I had been living and what I was willing to live with. Did the possibility of having more children override the constant pain I endured on a monthly basis? For me, it didn’t. I have a great son who is 13 years old and the thought of going back to diapers, formula, and day care was enough for me to say, “Hysterectomy PLEASE!”

Endometriosis was my life’s curve for 9 years, but now I can look forward to the next curve life will throw at me...until then I will continue LIVING AT 35!

Peace & Blessings,
Amber Caprice

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top